This is for the average person that has been running or someone starting to run and enjoying it. One focus is positively attempting the challenging goal of running a marathon. The base goal is to achieve fitness or wellness with minimal pain or injury thus continuing to participate. The central premise- Anybody with generally healthy limbs and body can go from couch to finish line of the 26.2 mile marathon in 24-36 weeks.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

What to do in this heat?

As a fan of the winter with the snow, ice and cold temperatures I dread the approach of the heat.
Now I love the spring and summer for the colors and the opportunity to garden but the heat is always a challenge.
As the real heat hits I have adapted and adjusted to the heat but it is still uncomfortable and potentially dangerous.
Now I break into a sweat tying my shoes so I need to be vigilant in hydration and fluid replacement. So I do 3 basic things every day.

1) Drink water all day long ( I carry 2-4 one literwater bottles)
2) I carry water (and maybe replacement drink) when I workout {and I drink it}
3) I replenish electrolytes and fluids after workouts. Post workout drinks include a glycogen replacement drink with a 4-1 or 5-1 carb to protein mix, often with a small amount of Omega fats.

I usually train in the morning so I don't have to make adjustments in the warm seasons. After nearly 20 years of running I know I need at least a quart/liter of water after an average run. When I go further or do a particualrly difficult workout I need to increase my intake during and after the workout.
Sweating safely in Virginia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home